Saturday, December 3, 2011

A really "cool" party

This week I kept myself busy making things for a one-year old's birthday party.  The party had a penguin theme.  Here is the invitation:


Cute right?  My friend asked for cupcakes, cake pops, and a smash cake.  She wanted penguin cake pops, which provided a challenge since it is impossible to find black candy melts this time of year.  Apparently, they are only available around halloween.  I was able to get some guidance from a specialty baking shop and found some black candy coloring.  This was my first attempt at coloring chocolate, but it turned out great!  I was worried that the food coloring might change the flavor of the chocolate, and I think it did a little, but they still tasted great.


I made a couple extra pops, so I used one to top the smash cake, I just made him a little hat to match the invitation.  The tree is a fondant "cone" with buttercream foliage.



The cupcakes are just a basic buttercream, with these cute little snowflake sprinkles I found.  The large snowflake is royal icing.  I'm really proud of my piping, it is really improving!



I made a few different snowflake shapes and because I couldn't decide which were my favorites, I decided to use them all.  I think they turned out great!



Here's to Eva, I hope your party is really "cool!"

No comments:

Post a Comment