Monday, October 17, 2011

Have I mentioned I love fall flavors?

We got home from Disney World on Saturday.  We had an amazing trip, but it was wonderful to get home and back to my kitchen.  One of my co-workers asked me to do cupcakes for a surprise grandma shower at work.  Originally she had asked for raspberry, but they are out of season and so expensive right now, so I suggested an apple or a pumpkin cupcake.  I had found a couple of pumpkin recipes but I finally settled on this one from one of my favorite blogs, Cupcakes Take the Cake.  The recipe was easy, the cupcakes were amazing and she was not lying about that frosting.  I was searching the cabinets for something to eat it with!


I have mixed feelings about the apple cupcakes.  They were made with apple cider and they were amazing the day I made them, but they didn't keep well overnight.  When I ate one today, they were a bit dry, so next time I might add some applesauce to keep them more moist, but they tasted amazing.  The frosting was very sweet, but a nice compliment to the cupcake and it was really easy to make since I didn't have to make my own caramel sauce.  I'm not sure my pans are ready for that kind of commitment. :)  My only complaint about the frosting was the consistency.  It just wouldn't sit up so the frosting ran a little as it warmed and as the cupcakes were on their way to work with me this morning.  If anyone out there has a good caramel frosting recipe, I would love to try it!


I have to say, this was my first time using the french tip, typically I go for the open star tip, but I think I might start using this one more often.  The piping was so easy and it looked really beautiful.  The cupcakes were enjoyed by everyone and I got lots of compliments.  No orders from anyone yet, but I'm keeping business cards at school, just in case! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment